18 June 2014

Something New

So, I'm taking on a new role in teaching this upcoming school year.  Well, really it started just before this last one ended.  This past school year I was "Co-Department Chair," but I am now officially the Department Chair.  Our school has been around for 5 years now and has been growing exponentially.  I was hired there only 2 years ago.  Just before I got there they had 5 teachers in the department - next year we will have 9!  Our enrollment is going up by about 300 students.

I'm nervous about taking over the department.  I don't have as much experience as some of them, but I think I'm a leader and can really get our department on the same page and moving forward as we implement Common Core (disclaimer: we actually work really well together.  We collaborate regularly and typically are on the same page).  I think the key here is getting us organized and to be together as we implement Common Core.  Like many districts, we aren't just shifting to Common Core, we are also shifting our course sequence as we are going Integrated (that discussion will be for another time).

I've spent the past couple of weeks using the internet to see what others are doing with Integrated Math for Common Core.  I was able to find some great ideas out there for so many other things, but not as much as I was hoping for with Integrated Math.  So, I decided "why not become a resource for others?"  I have a lot of great ideas of my own to become a better and more efficient teacher in the classroom.  And, as we implement Integrated Math, maybe I'll have some ideas for other's.

Now, I'll add "Bloogger" to my something new hat!