20 June 2014

Paper-Less

I've spent the last few weeks thinking about how to be more organized.  I went to my room and started cleaning things up and rearranging so that I could accomplish that task this summer and be reading for the new school year.  As I was doing that, I've created FIVE boxes full of paper ready for recycling (I save student tests and some work as record for a year, so that was 2-3 of them).  So, I started thinking, "In our world of technology, how are we not more paperless?"

I decided to research how I could use Google Forms more efficiently for this purpose (I found "10 ways" and "80 ways" that helped give me ideas).  I already have my students do a First Assignment through forms that collects information about them and math experience.  I've used the forms in the past for End-of-Course Surveys, technology surveys, and collection of information from my department.  But, I didn't feel that was enough.

This week I created multiple forms that I felt would assist me better.  As a support provider for beginning teachers, I also though about what would also assist my new teachers and what they needed to document as part of their BTSA program.  So, I created:

  • AVID Get to Know You
  • Math Get to Know You (recreated)
  • Communication Log (document parent communication)
  • Meeting Agenda/Minutes
  • Professional Development Log (based on the California Standards for the Teaching Profession)
I was SOOOO excited about what I had accomplished that day.  When my husband came home from work, I started to tell him about the meeting minutes and I was so excited.  Then he drops "but I wouldn't want it as a spreadsheet.  I'd want that information as a PDF."  I responded with "well, that's just how Google Forms does it.  It automatically records the responses in a spreadsheet...I think."  Which then led me to researching further if what he was saying would be even possible.  I'm a little OCD, so not just anything would do.  I'd have to find the way to get it just perfectly.  I already had a way envisioned in my head, so it was just seeing if that was then possible.  I ran across a site that was EXACTLY what I was looking for - Merging info from google forms to a PDF document to send via email.  TJ Houston wrote a script and had an advanced explanation of how to do this.  Since I know nothing about script, this took me a little longer to accomplish then it probably should have.  My first attempt had a small error in the script, so I had to figure that out and fix it.  Second attempt, the input values loaded into the wrong places on the PDF, so then I had to figure out if that was an error in the script or something wrong with the form (it ended up being how I created the form then the order it placed in the spreadsheet - so, I had to recreate the latter part of the form).  The third attempt was a success!!!  By that time, I was so grateful because it was 2:00am and I was exhausted.  

I met the next day with a few teachers, so I decided to test the form out again and have record of our discussion and next steps.  It was so perfect!!  I was able to automatically send myself the minutes, which I then forwarded on to the other teachers.  

I am so excited about the possibility with this option!!  I'm excited to share the possibility with the staff at my school and even the District.

Now, if only I could get my students to be this excited and passionate about accomplishing math!

No comments:

Post a Comment