21 January 2017

Financial Algebra Week 1 [and 2]

We are one week two weeks into Financial Algebra for this new term! Students seem to be excited about what we will be learning and have been actively working on stuff.

We decided to create a parent newsletter for each unit we are working on. We want the parents to become involved in the discussions with their kids, and this way they will have an idea of what is going on in the classroom, as well as what our next unit will be on. Here is Volume 1 of our newsletter. I'll update you on if it is successful or not at the end of the year!

The past few weeks we have been busy talking about some employment basics. We decided to focus the project on a career they were interested in. Students will be researching and writing a paper, giving a quick presentation, and calculating monthly pay net of Social Security and Medicare. They will use this career throughout the term and the salary will be used to calculate their net monthly income for their household budget for the final project. I'm hoping that the students are picking careers they are truly interested in and the research they are doing helps to affirm that choice! The project is due Monday night with presentations Tuesday and Wednesday, so I'll keep you posted in the next post how everything turned out. I've included the Project Instructions here for anyone interested in what we are doing.

Up next, we will be starting Banking Services. I didn't really like what we did in the Fall - it was the first unit we did and we were still trying to figure things out. I'll be spending the next few days trying to figure out how we can make this unit better. I had my student teacher work on some project ideas and I'm meeting Monday with the other teacher teaching the course (she's the "we" I always refer to). I know we can come up with some great stuff for this unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment